Karen Marie Johnston is an award-winning social worker, coach and retreat facilitator for brilliant women who want to fall in love with themselves.
Karen has dedicated her life to supporting women in the sex industry, doing outreach in red light districts and empowering women to overcome self-harm and self-neglect. She is a role model and mentor specialising in self-compassion, trauma, addiction and mental health recovery, and also works as a consultant and supervisor for heart-centred teams and space holders doing life changing work with their clients.
In this conversation, Karen and I discuss:
- What led to Karen spending her 22nd birthday in rehab, her journey to recovery and how it's informed her work in the world as a social worker and coach
- Solo parenting two boys, receiving the wake up call that it was time to pivot in Karen's social work career and the transition to stepping up as the CEO of a coaching business
- What it means to 'recover out loud' and the work Karen does, shining a light on what's possible for other women struggling with addiction and trauma
- What Karen's learned about parenting teenage boys and how her own journey has impacted how she communicates with them
- The power of the retreats that Karen runs, how they've evolved and how we make the 'wellness industry' more accessible for the women who really need trauma-informed services
- The self-care of micro moments of connection to self, breathing, honouring and validating our feelings, and getting back into our bodies.
Also mentioned in this episode:
I'd love you to join The Light Seekers' Lounge Facebook group and continue the conversation! Click on this link to join: https://facebook.com/groups/mummalovelounge